Thursday, November 12, 2009

School's Out for Summer

Today was our last day studying at the University of Ghana. My exams have been taken, my papers have been turned in, and I walked out of the building glowing like it was summer break. FREEDOM!

The fact that our last drumming class was today makes me very sad. I have loved learning to play the djembe in every way. My ability to feel and create polyrhythm is ever improving and developing. Exciting!

Miranda, Christopher (one of our dance instructors), Christopher (our drumming teacher who is apparently drumming on my head), Me and Gracie!

My excitement after drumming class turned to concern when I realized how just how little time I have left in this beautiful country. We leave in less than three weeks.

Our group celebrated the end of our hectic week with Castle Beer and Curried Vegetables at Tyme Out, an outdoor restaurant/bar on campus that we discovered in our first month in Ghana and then forgot about.

Tyme Out!

After dinner we went to a benefit concert on campus in an outdoor venue at the dance studio. A few different bands made up of both Ghanaians and Obrunis (foreigners) played music for us to enjoy. The second band played had guitars, drums, piano, and SAXOPHONES!


Listening to talented alto and tenor saxophones under the cloudy night sky in Ghana was wonderful. Annica was a happy camper (crappy hamper?). I contemplated finding the saxophonist after the show and asking him if I could touch his saxophone. I thought better of it, but I wanted to hold that gold piece of goodness so bad!

When I got back to my dorm, I got sad again because I felt a strong desire to go home. I just keep going back and forth. It’s really strange. I really miss my parents, sister, and friends. I have never been away from home this long and I’m beginning to feel needy for those I love in Grand Rapids/Miami/Wichita Falls/Portland/Choma/Gallup. Is this what homesickness feels like? It’s a really strange, torn feeling.

Now I shall give you a feel for how well my friends here know me in the short time we’ve been together. Back at the dorm, as soon as I got the sad feeling inside, though I said nothing, Miranda gave me a hug and said “you need a hug don’t you.” “Yes, yes I do.” Genevieve immediately followed with “you miss your daddy don’t you.” “Yes, yes I do.” Genevieve, my dear roommate who I will miss so much, jokingly gives me grief about missing my mom and my dad. Her dad died when she was young and obviously has a much stronger relationship with her mom. Actually, most Ghanaians are closer to their moms because most Ghanaian women stay home with the children and Ghanaian men work full time. Anyway, she thinks it is funny that I miss my parents equally ☺.

I want to live in the moment here. The next three weeks will be gone before I know it. I don’t want to spend my time dwelling on my desire and my dread of getting on that plane.

Please pray that I always see the cup half full in these next weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Dang Annica!! I needed to catch up big time on your blog! Good job my friend! I'm glad youre writing so much. I especially enjoyed the reference to "crappy hamper." It sounds like you are really enjoying yourself!! I'm so excited to hear about it in person! I love you!!

    ReplyDelete