Thursday, November 5, 2009

What does Annica eat for dinner?

To answer your (my) question, most evenings, I venture into the Night Market which is conveniently located next to my Hostel. When we first arrived in Ghana we were advised to avoid eating there because of sanitation or something, but that is clearly a thing of the past. It is pretty much the only place I eat on campus. Because it has everything. Bananas, Oranges, Pineapple, Coconut Clumps, Groundnuts, Mango, etc. Rice, Yam, Fufu, Banku, Kenkey, Plantains, etc. Kebobs. Egg Sandwiches. And a pocket full of HOT sunshine (during the day at least). What more could you ask for?

So, every day/night, we go from stand to stand. We get our Kebobs from one guy, our fruit from another lady, water sachet/plastic bags from Maame Fante, yams or rice from another stand, etc. Sometimes my friends and I divide and conquer and then meet at a table behind the food stands.

This is the Night Market during the day. I LOVE IT. Maame Fante and Papa Fante make the best Egg Sandwiches (An omlette on bread basically). And they are the cutest people ever.

A Typical Dinner from the Night Market: Exhibit A
-Vegetable Kebob Grilled to Perfection (Ingredients: Zucchini, Green Pepper, Tomato, Onion, Powdered Peppe)
-Chicken Kebob Grilled to Perfection (Ingredients: Chicken, Powdered Peppe)
-Fried Yam Chips (Ingredients: Really Sharp Fried Yams That Kindof Taste Like French Fries But Not Really)
-Ketchup (I think I have a mild obsession with ketchup since I actually eat fried food here like I never do at home.)

A Typical Dinner from the Night Market: Exhibit B
-Vegetable Kebob
-Vegetable and Sausage Kebob (Self Explanatory Ingredients)
-White Rice
-Tomato Stew (Mushed Up Tomatoes, Palm Oil, Onion, Hot Pepper)

This is the guy who makes our kebobs. I think I eat them at least once a day. We are friends.

Sometimes the gals and I (Miranda and Grace) eat on my bed. Like this:

Other times, we eat in the Night Market. Where it is dark. And therefore, pictures do not turn out well at all.

Some nights, we get homemade vegetable pizzas or banana chocolate chip muffins from Auntie Louise. She brings food in a basket from home and sells them next to our hostel. Last night, she was wearing A CALVIN SHIRT. I almost peed. Apparently students from last year gave it to her.
Anica, Me, Auntie Louise, and Miranda

YUMM!

No comments:

Post a Comment